Water’s Edge Nature Center Foundation
The Water’s Edge Nature Center Foundation is a non-profit citizen group that was formed to support the construction and development of the Water’s Edge Nature Center. The nature center is an investment in our future that will benefit all citizens of Kossuth County.
The Water’s Edge Nature Center
The nature center looks out over the waters of Smith Lake from the lake’s western shores, and benefits the community in a variety of ways:
- Self-guided educational displays and wildlife viewing opportunities for campers, hikers, and families visiting Smith Lake.
- Teaching facilities for school groups, 4-H events, and camp activities.
- Multi-purpose room for large public nature programs, public events, workshops, classes, receptions, and festivals.
- Large meeting room, complete with kitchen and restrooms, for civic groups, clubs, and other organizations for lunch meetings, business meetings, receptions, reunions, etc.
- Family opportunities to stimulate tourism and economic development to north Iowa and Kossuth County.
How you can be a part
- Membership -- Become a member of the Foundation. Your annual membership will make you eligible for our newsletter, discounts, and special members-only benefits.
- Time, Talents, Treasures -- You may also choose to donate your time, talents, labor, or materials to help the Foundation with various projects, events, and planning. Call 515-295-2138 to find out how you can help.
- The Giving Tree -- You may also choose to make a tax-deductible donation to the Foundation (in addition to, or instead of, your membership). Your generosity will be recognized by our Giving Tree, which will prominently display the names of all donors. Your donation will make our giving tree grow along with the nature center and the exciting promise it holds.
Click on the link below to become a member of the Foundation or to become a part of the Giving Tree.
Only the beginning
Although the completion of the Nature Center was the primary goal, the Foundation will continue to assist the Conservation Board and benefit the community in many ways including:
- The Foundation will assist in the purchasing of educational equipment and supplies to help the county naturalists continue to provide valuable environmental educational experiences for area students and the public.
- The Foundation will assist with the planning and coordination of large public events, as well as serving as a volunteer base.
- The Foundation will help in the planning, construction, and maintaining of the new displays, structures, trails, etc.
- The Foundation will serve as a mouthpiece for the various communities throughout Kossuth County.
- The Foundation will assist in the development and acquisition of additional county wildlife and recreation areas